This is a bug fix release in the 2.14 series.
GTK+ 2.14 adds new functionality while maintaining source and binary compatibility with GTK+ 2.12.
New widgets and objects
- GdkAppLaunchContext, provides startup notification with g_app_info_launch()
- GtkMountOperation, can ask for passwords when mounting volumes with g_volume_mount()
- GtkToolShell, an interface for containers of GtkToolItems
Noteworthy new APIs
- gtk_show_uri(), a replacement for gnome_vfs_url_show() and gnome_url_show()
- gtk_widget_get_snapshot(), using pixmap redirection to render snapshots of widgets
Changes in the file chooser
The file chooser uses GIO directly, loadable backends are no longer supported. Autocompletion in the file chooser entry has been improved.
Changes in printing support
The print dialog displays printer status information.
Support for rearranging pages when printing multiple pages per sheet has been added to the cups backend.
The gail module is shipped with GTK+, GtkBuilder supports accessibility attributes and GtkStatusIcon supports keyboard navigation.
The compose sequences understood by GTK+’s builtin input method have been synchronized with recent X.org compose sequences, adding a large number of new sequences.
GTK+ no longer uses translations when an application is not translated to the current locale.
- Support loading OS X icns format
- Support loading JPEG 2000 images
- Support loading and saving to GIO streams
- Use GIO for mime information
GDK uses Xrandr instead of Xinerama to provide more (and dynamic) monitor information. Font configuration changes are now picked up at runtime, without an application restart.
For more details and lists of fixed bugs, see the announcements for the 2.13.x development releases:
About 900 bugs were fixed between 2.12 and 2.14.
See the original announcement for more info and downloads.
GTK+ 2.14 will be released in a few days. This seems like a good time to send out an update on the GTK+ 3 plans.
Once the 2.14 release has happened, we will branch off a 2.90 branch.
Development towards 2.16 will proceed on trunk, in parallel to the 2.90 development.
The goal is to have a 2.16 release by next summer (traditionally targeting Guadec). The following features are already under development and will likely land in 2.16:
- support for icons in entries
- better handling of invisible characters
- flippable boxes, separators, etc
- resolution independence/font scaling
- complete offscreen window support
- extended layout (width-for-height)
- a tool palette widget
- a simple list api
The 2.90 release will be feature-wise equivalent to 2.16, with structure contents being completely sealed and deprecated 2.x interfaces removed. 2.90 will be installable in parallel with 2.16.
After the 2.16/2.90 releases, GTK+ 2.x will continue to be supported by bug-fix releases on the 2.16 branch, while the 2.90 branch will move ahead with new feature development, leading to a GTK+ 3 release further down the road.
This is the seventh development release leading up to GTK+ 2.14.
Overview of Changes from GTK+ 2.13.5
- Fix problems on 64-bit Windows
- Fix a long-standing, well-known problem with the handling of insensitive buttons, bug 56070
- Fallback to Xinerama if the Xrandr implementation is just a stub
- gdk_threads_add_timeout_seconds[_full]: New functions with second-granularity to complete the set of gdk_threads_ timeout functions
- Support rendering icons with emblems specified as GEmblemedIcon
- GtkFileChooser has a GFile-oriented API now, functions for creating filechoosers with specific backends have been deprecated, since GIO is used directly.
- GtkAdjustment has been sealed, adding getters and setters for all struct fields.
30 bugs fixed in this release!